5 Drills to Improve Your Soccer Dribbling Skills
Professional players always go into the field after practicing each skill set. The player who has a good command over different skills remains the dominant one on the field. In soccer or futsal where quick passes and long possessions are important to learn, dribbling is also essential to beat the defenders in play. It wouldn’t be wrong if we say that ‘in soccer, dribbling is the skill which can make or break the game.’
If you want to become a successful soccer player then this guide you must have a strong grip over your dribbling skills. This skill is really productive in enhancing your creativity of play.
Here we have 5 of the basic drills which if you incorporate in your daily practice will help you a lot in developing your dribbling skills.
1 – Closed-Space Dribbling Drill
Dribbling is the art of controlling the ball while keeping it away from the defenders. One who is not a master of this skill can’t beat his opponents in soccer.
- Take 3 cones and arrange them by making a small triangle on the ground or line up the cones at a distance of at least 2 feet.
- Place the ball on ground and start dribbling it between the cones.
Practice the drill with both surfaces of your feet; inner and outer surfaces of right foot, inner and outer surfaces of left foot. Perform the drill for minimum 15 minutes.
2 – Cone Drill
A good dribbler must know how to control the ball in tight spaces.
- Pick up 10 cones and place them in a straight line each at a distance of 5 yards.
- Weave through the cones while dribbling the ball.
This drill should be performed first with inside of feet and then outside. Once start from right side and then with the left one.
3 – Partner/Wall Drill
With this drill you will learn how to react or play after receiving a pass from your partner.
- Ask your partner to throw a ball towards you or place a wall in his place and bounce the ball off a wall.
- Perform the continuous back and forth passes for 15-20 times.
While practicing this drill use all surfaces alternately of both feet.
3 – Confined One-On-One Drill
This drill improves your dribbling skills to play under pressure.
- Make a square of 4 cones by keeping them 5 yards apart from each other.
- Enter the box with a ball and partner.
- Dribble the ball while your partner will play the role of defender.
You are not allowed to go beyond the specified area. After certain time, switch your role and continue practice.
5 – Doggies Dribbling
This variant type of drill helps in the improvisation of dribbling as well as physical fitness.
- Place 5 cones in a straight line at 5 yards distance.
- Stand at cone 1 then sprint with the ball to cone 2.
- Turn, sprint back to no. 1, now sprint from 1 to 3 and repeat the same for cones 4 and 5.
- Once you have covered all cones, back to cone 1 and take a minimum 30 seconds rest before going for the next round.
Complete 10 sets of this drill, 5 for each foot.
Read this article 7 Best Futsal ball Reviews Select your favorite one.